Saturday, January 12, 2013

Seeing Through the Camels

       









       





       I had a really unique view on Sunday morning at the service in town.  
       Knowing that we were going to be celebrating Epiphany day and reading about the magi, I had asked if we could please use the camels from the Christmas program.  They are the best hand-made camels I have seen and have a great deal of personality.  I thought it would be good atmosphere and add some fun and imagination to the celebration.  What I didn't count on was the placement of the camels.
       I was running a little later than normal so I didn't have time to check the sanctuary before worship and was glad to see the manger and the gifts and those wonderful camels under the star.  I didn't think about it until it came time for me to sit in my chair when I realized it was back behind the camels.
       During different parts of the service, when it came time for me to sit, I had to look out from behind and around the camels to see the manger and to see the congregation.  It was a totally different perspective. 
       Usually as I preside over worship, I see everyone and everything; but Sunday was different.  Unless I moved away from the manger and stood in front, I could only get a partial glimpse of the manger and what was happening in front of me.  As I looked, I realized that I have only looked at manger scenes from the front, like watching a performance but Sunday, I saw a view I've never seen before.
       I have had that same kind of feeling sometimes when I am studying scripture and I come across a very familiar story that I think I know so well.  I think I know the story and the characters and often even the meaning but as I study them, I come across details and ideas that I have not seen before.  The story of the Magi is a good example of a story we think we know so well until we really read it.  Then we find out that Matthew never tells us how many magi there were or whether or not there were camels.  In fact, many of the details we think we know aren't in the Bible!
       Both of the experiences are reminders that we need to allow ourselves to be open see and hear the Gospel from a new point of view not only on the page, but also in the people around us.  When we think we already know what is coming and what it means, we rob ourselves of new insights, new gifts, and renewed relationships.  
       In the ninth chapter of John, Jesus heals a man who had been born blind.  There are a lot of people that do not understand and question what Jesus has done.  At one point, they do not believe that he is the same man until they confront his parents.  They are not able to see or believe the truth of Jesus. Finally, they drive out the man whom Jesus healed.  
       He comes to Jesus and Jesus talks to him and reveals his identity.  The man confesses his faith and worships Jesus.  He is able to see and believe in Jesus but the Pharisees are not.  Jesus warns them (and us) of the peril of refusing to see the truth of Jesus.  
       Jesus opens our eyes to see with the eyes of faith.  Try seeing things in new ways, opening your heart and eyes to the new possibilities of God's love and grace.
        "Jesus heard that they had driven him out, and when he had found  him, he said, 'Do you believe in the Son of Man?'  He answered, 'And who is he, sir?  Tell me, so that I may believe in him.'  Jesus said to him, 'You have sen him, and the one speaking with you is he.'  He said, 'Lord, I believe.'  And he worshiped him.  Jesus said, I came into this world for judgment so that whose who do not see may see, and those who do see may become blind.'"  John 9:35-40

No comments:

Post a Comment