Wednesday, November 30, 2011

One Small Candle

      The year is drawing to a close, Advent is upon us, and Christmas is coming again.  I could tell that today and it didn't have anything to do with Christmas sales or programs or commercials.  I would have known even without all of those markers and even without the church year calendar turning to a new month and beginning the cycle again.
       What was it that was such a sure sign of the season?
       As I was going across the hall from my office to teach confirmation, I paused to turn on the hallway lights.  It was already getting dimmer at 3:30 and would be nearing dark by the end of class.  The days are much shorter now.  That fact along with the cold seeping from the doorway are sure signs of the coming dark and cold of winter.
       It is into this cold darkness that Advent invites us to light a candle for each week as Advent progresses toward Christmas.  It is not much light; just one small candle this week, and two next Sunday.  It surely isn't enough to really make a difference against such cold and darkness.  Why bother?
       When I was a child, I saw the lighting of the Advent candles as a countdown to Christmas.  I was impatient and it took too long.  Advent calendars were better, there was a window to open for every day we got closer to Christmas, but I could still only open one a day.  Now, there is an ornament that counts down the weeks, the days, the hours, and even the seconds.  But what does it count down to: Sundown on December 24th and the beginning of Christmas Eve? Midnight and the beginning of Christmas Day? Sunrise on the 25th?  Christmas worship? Opening presents? Christmas dinner?
       I have a feeling that the ornament's zero hour and mine would be very different.
       I think I will stick with my candles: one candle for each Sunday and the larger white candle in the center for the coming of Christ at Christmas.  The flare of the flame recalls the beginning of worship and invites me to contemplation and prayer.  It is a small light, only one candle this week and so we draw closer to each other and to its' light.  As the candle flickers in any draft, it reminds me of the cold and dark outside and how fragile life can be outside this time of year and I remember those who are cold, hungry, or homeless.  When the candle is blown out, the smoke of the candle floats into the air and the smoke is like the incense of evening prayer rising to God.
       Gather four candles into a circle or make a simple wreath and keep watch with me this Advent season.  Use it for your personal prayer time and as a family at your evening meals.  As the darkness and cold advance, the lights increase as the time for Jesus comes closer.  Open your minds and hearts to include service to those in need as a way to give thanks.  Your devotions and prayers can be as small and simple as the candle burning on your table.  Read Psalm 141: 1-4, 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment