Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Flip Flops (the poem)














Flip Flops  (2006)
               Christine Iverson

Today I came to church
wearing flip flops.
I wasn't wearing a suit,
or a fancy hat with a bow.
At first,
I felt uncomfortable.
Maybe God wouldn't like it.
It might be upsetting.
And then I thought,
would God really get upset
because I wore jeans
or anything else?
Is that what bothers God?

Then I remembered:
unkind words, cussing,
the fit I threw in the car,
my impatience in line
(did it really matter
that I had to wait?).
People are hungry,
innocents are dying
because of bombs
they cannot control.
I turned off the news.
I couldn't be bothered.

I came to church today,
wearing my flip flops.
I was reminded that God
adopted me in baptism.
God loves me -
just the way I am.
Now it's my turn
to share that love.
God knows
how much we need it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I thought your flip flop Sunday idea was very interesting! It's not every day that I come across such an idea. My church wouldn't do it not in ten million years! However, it's refreshing to know that people can still not take themselves too serious and walk the way Jesus did! Every blessing I pass to you! Ariana Romania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ariana!

    This is the second church where I have tried doing a "flip flop" Sunday. The response the first time was a little hesitant in both places but when I did it a second year, people remembered and really got into the spirit of it. I even had a retired pastor in his 80's who bought a pair of flip flops just to wear to the service! I started it when some teens where complaining that they would never be allowed to wear them to church. The more we talked, the more I became convinced of doing such a Sunday to try and get the idea of welcome and acceptance across.

    ReplyDelete