Friday, September 18, 2009

Eek! Can I try again?

I used to like bugs. At least I think so because I know I used to play with rollypollies (little grey doodlebugs) and once, in third grade, I took a tarantula to class. I mean, I had to walk just short of two miles to school and I had to carry it the whole way. I couldn't have been too freaked.
We were supposed to bring an "interesting" bug to class for science show and tell. I had one of my big brothers help me catch it. We put it in a quart mayo jar and poked holes in the lid. The body filled the bottom of the jar and the legs went up the sides. It was very hairy, scary and impressive looking. I thought for sure that I would get great marks for such a big bug!
Instead, I got sent to the principle's office for bringing something dangerous to school. My bug was banished (I don't know what happened to it) and I was punished. It must have been severe (at least in my eyes) because today, I can't stand bugs. And people who worked with me in disaster know that I can cope with most things (fires, tornadoes, floods, and worse) but I don't do spiders - I scream and start running!
I remember the dread I felt following the teacher and walking down the hall. I knew I was in trouble even though I wasn't sure why. I remember wishing I could do the whole day over again. In golf, it's called a mulligan, a 'do-over'. If the first time goes awry, you get to start over again; only in golf, it usually only applies to the first time off the first tee. It's a limited time offer.
How wonderful God is about such things! When the disciples ask Jesus how many times they should forgive someone, maybe seven times? Jesus responds, "Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times" (Matthew 18:22) Some translations say "seventy times seven". However the translation, the meaning is clear, we are to forgive beyond the amount of times of which we can keep count. As for God, God is always ready to forgive - to give us a chance at a clean start and a new beginning.
The ancient offertory, "Create in me" quotes from Psalm 51: "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a clean spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me". God is always ready and willing with open arms to welcome us back into God's family, greeting us with love, giving us another chance, a new beginning over and over. God doesn't say the wrong was right. God gives us a chance to start new, to live differently from now on.
With God, it is never too late to begin again. Read Psalm 51:10-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment